12 oz Whole Wheat spaghetti
1 1/4 ounces of whole blanched almonds, Toasted
2 Tbsp. finely grated lemon zest, plus 1/4 cup of fresh lemon juice (about three lemons)
1 garlic clove
1 cup packed fresh Italian (flat leaf) parsley
1 cup spinach
1/2 cup basil
1/2 cup packed fresh mint leaves
3 Tbsp. Extra virgin olive oil
2 heads broccoli, cut into small florets
3 Tbsp. part skim ricotta cheese
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook pasta until al dente according to package instructions. Reserve 1/2 cup cooking liquid; drain pasta.
- Pulse almonds in a food processor until finely ground. Add basil, spinach and mint
- Add 1 Tbsp lemon zest along with the lemon juice, garlic, herbs, and 1/2 tsp salt; process until finely chopped. With machine running, gradually add 2 Tbsp oil and the reserved cooking water; process until pesto is smooth.
- The pesto will keep for 1 week in the refrigerator or up to 1 month in the freezer; store in an airtight container, covered with a thin layer of olive oil. To serve, bring the pesto to room temperature (never heat it), pour off extra oil from top, and stir in a little water, if necessary, to achieve the proper consistency.
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium-high. Add remaining 1 Tbsp oil. When hot, add broccoli and 1 1/2 tsp salt; season with pepper. Cook, tossing occasionally, until broccoli is lightly browned and crisp, 5 to 7 minutes. Add pasta and pesto; toss to coat.
- Divide pasta among six bowls. Dollop with ricotta and sprinkle with remaining 1 Tbsp zest, dividing evenly.
- Squeeze lemon wedges over tops, and serve immediately.