3 medium onions, small dice
3 medium garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
1 medium leek, cleaned and thinly sliced
4 celery stalks, cleaned and thinly sliced
4 small sweet potatoes/yams
1 small butternut squash
4 small carrots
2 cups of red lentils, washed and drained
7 cups of water or vegetable stock
1 bay leaf
4 sprigs of thyme
1 teaspoon of MS Dash seasoning
1 teaspoon of Curry Powder
1/2 Bunch of Fresh Parsley chopped
1/2 of a medium lemon- seeded and juiced.
Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a medium pot, sauté onions and garlic with two pinches of salt until there are soft and translucent.
1b. While sautéing the onions heat up the stock or water in a separate pot
2. Add the leeks, celery, carrots, squash and sweet potatoes/yams along with another 5 pinches of salt to taste and sauté until soft (A tooth pick should penetrate through the vegetables with ease)
3. Add lentils, along with Curry Powder, Ms Dash, and stir for 1 minute to incorporate the ingredients together
4. Add stock cup by cup into the rest of the ingredients along with the bay leaf/thyme and add salt and pepper to taste for seasoning.
5. Bring all the ingredients to a boil and then lower the heat and let it simmer for 1 hour or until the lentils are tender
6. When it is complete add the lemon juice one teaspoon at a time, to taste
*NB.(the lemon should enhance the flavor of the soup not overpower it)
7. Remove Thyme Sprigs and Bay leaf from the Soup and serve 6 ounces (1 and 1/2 of a medium ladle) in soup bowls once it is cooled but still warm.
Yields 8 Servings